Saturday, February 19, 2011

How do we educate our kids? Seriously, lets think about it.

Part of what I do is teach people. And I'm someone who, by and large, was failed by teaching. I was failed by the system and I wanted more, so I found it, but not before I thought many bad things about myself, and the educational system I was subjected to. Sound familiar?

And so, as someone who teaches people, and as a parent, and a recovering graduate of an inadequate educational system, I think about how, why, what and when we teach what we teach to our children. This week I was introduced to Sir Ken Robinson (online, not in person), who thinks along the same lines (he's been knighted for it, I have been...well, not) and articulates what many of us fret over those sleepless nights where we wonder how we got where we are and how our kids might ever have the chance to do better.

I encourage you all to watch these videos--teachers and parents doubly so. We owe it to our kids to consider this conversation and act on it vigorously.

http://www.ted.com/talks/sir_ken_robinson_bring_on_the_revolution.html


http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/2010/10/14/rsa-animate-changing-education-paradigms/

No comments:

Post a Comment