Wednesday, March 2, 2011

iPad 2...iPad 1 with cameras?

OK, so the big announcement has come. iPad2 is here. It's thinner. It comes in white (I'll believe that when I see it.). It has an available magnetic cover in different colors. But the thing is not a case, it's a cover. The back of the thing will remain unprotected by this precious-looking little piece of eye candy.

The good is that there's a dual-core A5 processor in there, so it'll be faster. And there's better graphics and a gyroscope like iPhone 4. And there are 2 cameras (front-facing and on the back) that are 720p.

I personally don't care about cameras on the iPad. I never thought it would be a device that taking pictures on would make sense. Just imagine holding the thing up and trying to steady it for a photo. There are some many devices better for that, like say, your camera.

But I digress.

The one important piece of tech that remains the same is the screen. I haven't been happy with the resolution on my iPad and have forsaken it as a reading device because the rendering of text was causing me a lot of eye strain. If the iPad2 had a new screen with better resolution, I might have been in line waiting for it, but now I don't know. It's pretty slick looking and I'm sure it's "Magical(TM)" but I don't see how the features that matter most to me have been significantly altered in this new version enough to make it make sense for me to buy one.

Will I suffer a bout of TAD (Tech Acquisition Disorder) and have to get one anyway? Maybe. But as of now It seems tome a nice update, but not worthy of selling the year-old iPad for the emperor's new clothes.

What do you think? To buy or not to buy?

3 comments:

  1. I think that the iPad camera use would be less for photos and more for Facetime. Since the device is usually wireless connected it would make sense to have it be able to do it. Even more so since the Mac App Store released Facetime last week for the Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still not convinced that Facetime is something that anyone cares about or will care about. I know TONS of people who own iPhone 4s. I know no one who has even used facetime more than once. I certainly don't want to see the people I'm talking to and I don't want anyone to see me. We're talking major communication paradigm shift before it's anything that's more than a cool trick. And the thought of wandering around my house--or even worse, the city streets--staring at the iPad and blabbering away is less than attractive. Seems like an technology made because we can make it. Sure it's be great for that one call a week to the family, but beyond that...meh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the device is going to sell to gotta-have-it adopters (you're borderline that sort) and the prudent people who wanted to buy an iPad1 but thought it more logical to wait for the inevitable "better" second iteration.

    I saw on Gizmodo discussions people who liken the iPad -> iPad2 upgrade to the iPhone 3G -> 3GS upgrade (ie, minor). They "expect" the iPad2 -> iPad3 upgrade to be like the 3GS -> iPhone4 upgrade (ie, major). Pure heresay at this point, but makes sense as speculation.

    ReplyDelete