Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Self-publishing continued...

OK, I've been researching this self-pub thing all week. I've order a test copy of my book through lulu.com (it arrives today. I'm actually really excited, even though it's only for me), I got a draft of the book ready to put on amazon.com in less than TEN minutes. I've also sent out the book to a couple more small presses and a couple more agents. But I just found this blog : A Newbie's Guide to Self-Publishing. It posts some pretty mind-boggling numbers. Like these:

"These are DECEMBER sales figures for some indie authors. In other words, they account for only 31 days of sales.

Are you ready to be blown away?

Blake Crouch - 2500+
Nathan Lowell - 2500+
Beth Orsoff - 2500+
Sandra Edwards - 2500+
Vianka Van Bokkem - 2500+
Maria Hooley - 2500+
C.S. Marks - 2500+
Lee Goldberg - 2500+
Lexi Revellian - 4000+
Zoe Winters - 4000+
Aaron Patterson - 4000+
Bella Andre - 5000+
Imogen Rose - 5000+
Ellen Fisher - 5000+
Tina Folsom - 5000+
Terri Reid - 5000+
David Dalglish - 5000+
Scott Nicholson - 10,000+
J.A. Konrath 10,000+
Victorine Lieske - 10,000+
L.J. Sellers - 10,000+
Michael R. Sullivan - 10,000+
H.P. Mallory - 20,000+
Selena Kitt - 20,000+
Stephen Leather - 40,000+
Amanda Hocking - 100,000+

For a more detailed breakdown, visit Derek J. Canyon's blog http://derekjcanyon.blogspot.com/2011/01/keys-to-epublishing-success.html. This was compiled by him, and Robin Sullivan.
"

Amanda Hocking, 100K+?!?!? I mean, that's hard to fathom.

There's one commonality amongst them all that gives me pause, however: They all write genre fiction of one kind or another. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a lover of good genre fiction, but the book I'm considering self-pubbing is not genre fiction. There's no niche market for this book, unless you count Appalachians, and we all know they can't read (I joke, I joke!). So can anyone out there point me toward numbers for self-pubbed literary fiction? I'll keep looking myself and report back.

In the meantime, I promise to post some tech stuff here too. I'm working on something about headphones and also thinking about the Motorola Atrix, which everyone seemed to be abuzz about during CES, but my question remains, when you have a computer, a TV, etc, why would you want to plug you phone into one of those devices and use it as the content provider. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment